Saturday, December 20, 2014

Aurelio's Pizzeria

I'm in Chicago so first off, expect many Chicago restaurant reviews to come! 

My husband and I go to Chicago to visit his family at least twice a year and for he and I it has become somewhat of a tradition for Aurelio's pizza to be the first thing we eat when we arrive. 

This chain began in 1959 (according to the website) and currently boasts 40 locations in 6 states! The location we always go to is 18162 Harwood Ave, Homewood, Illinois 60430. 

I have only actually been inside this location once (unfortunately our flights always arrive around 9-10pm) but fortunately for us they deliver! From what I can recall about the single time I was inside the restaurant, it was a large space with almost every table full; it was decorated for Christmas and the entire place smelled delightful (pizza is the best smelling food - hands down). I would like to actually go back to the restaurant eventually.

I was skeptical about Chicago thin crust pizza at first since it's much thicker cousin is more well-known but dare I say Aurelio's thin crust pizza has ruined me for any other pizza there could possibly be!

The pizzas are cut into small pieces (so you can eat 12 slices and rationalize that you only really ate about 3 regular slices). The crust is crisp, cheese is melty and high-quality and the sauce is slightly sweet but full of flavor.

My husband likes the sausage and onion toppings while I like giardiniera and cheese. Giardiniera is a relish of pickled vegetables (not entirely sure which ones other than carrots and the occasional cauliflower) but it's utterly delicious. The relish is vinegary with a slight spice - making it the perfect pizza topping. I also highly recommend the antipasto salad because a salad will make you feel like you've had a more rounded meal after devouring 12 mini slices of pizza. This incredible salad includes ham, pepperoni, cheese, black and green olives, roasted red peppers, pepperochini and a delicious olive oil-based dressing. 

I would recommend my readers (assuming I actually have some) to check out Aurelio's if they live in Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota, Georgia, Florida or Vegas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment