Monday, December 22, 2014

Italian Village

I first visited the city of Chicago 2 years ago. My then boyfriend invited me to spend a couple days with him and his family before Christmas. Due to the fact I was dirt poor, I was only able to spend 4 days and 3 nights. To any of you who have visited an entirely foreign city before this is not enough time to do anything! 

We spent a grand total of 1 day in the city that trip so we jam packed it full of Chicago must-do's: we went to the Field Museum and saw Sue, we saw the Bean and the Buckingham Fountain and of course drank Caribou Coffee because the small-city Buerquena in me was fascinated by the fact we don't have one in Albuquerque. 

At the end of our busy day we went to Italian Village. Tonight, almost exactly 2 years later we went there again. 

Italian Village is located at 71 West Monroe St, Chicago, Illinois 60603. 

The building that is Italian Village houses three separate restaurants: The Village on the 3rd floor, The Vivere on the street level, and La Cantina on the first floor. I have never eaten at any other restaurant other than The Village but would like to try the other two someday. 

The Village is at the top of a narrow staircase with a very small (and crowded if more than 5 people are waiting) hostess area but I guarantee you it is worth the wait! 

The menu has everything from pasta and pizza to seafood and steaks and all entrees come with the option of soup or salad. Baskets of bread are served with parmesan cheese and olive oil. My husband and I ordered carpaccio for an appetizer. For those of you who have no idea what carpaccio is, it is a dish prepared with raw beef or fish. Now, before you think "raw?! How is this up to health code?!" Much like ceviche, the meat is cured rather than cooked. The beef was topped with lightly oiled Arugala and capers; I think the dish could've used some acid. Desperately. Even just adding balsamic or red wine vinegar to the Arugala would'vehelped 

My husband ordered fettuccine with lobster while I got risotto with shrimp and mushrooms. My husband's pasta was fantastic - so much so that the server told him 3 separate times! The lobster was sweet and succulent and the sauce was a great compliment without being overpowering. The risotto was cooked perfectly al dente and served with a light cream sauce the mushrooms were perfectly tender yet meaty (the way mushrooms should be) and the shrimp were plump and well-cooked. I loved the dish so much I didn't want it to end and subsequently brought half of it home to eat another day. 

We both got the side salad which was nothing too special - spring mix, carrots and Italian dressing (not even sure it was housemade) but it wasn't bad. 

Then came dessert! Cannoli for him and panna cotta for me. The panna cotta was eggnog flavored. 'It's the season, right? And was set beautifully and topped with whipped cream and I believe nutmeg. The cannoli shell was crisp and the filling was creamy and sweet. 

Italian Village will always hold a special place in my heart because on a cold December 18th day in 2012 my boyfriend who hailed from a subburb of Chicago took me there after showing me around the City. 


No comments:

Post a Comment