Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Flossmoor Station

My husband and I went to his grandmother's house today to bake Christmas cookies with her (is that precious, or what?!) and after spending about 2 hours making dough and testing out cookie presses we decided to break for lunch. 

My husband's grandmother has been going to the Flossmoor Station located at 1035 Sterling Avenue, Flossmoor, Illinois 60422 every day for lunch for years. She has a regular server, sits at a booth in the back and is served iced tea with a separate glass of ice without even ordering it. 

The Flossmoor Station has a revolving tap (with a few staples of course) of their own house brewed craft beers. Now readers, assuming you actually exist, I adore a good craft beer. There is no greater pleasure I have found other than sitting down to a good and hearty meal with a perfectly paired craft beer. Today I ordered the Shadow of the Moon Imperial Stout. The chocolate and licorice notes were very present at the forefront with coffee undertones. It was similar mouthfeel as a Guiness without being quite as heavy. They were running a special 12 Beers of Christmas with 12 different seasonal beers being offered each day. Today's was Raspberry What and it was utterly fantastic! Very festive and fruity but with strong wheat flavor. I was disappointed to find out that I could not purchase a growler-full due to the limited quality. 

Upon walking into the restaurant, the brew equipment can be seen through glass (the brewery even offers tours)! The space has a large back dining room, a private party room, a bar area with a small dining area and a smaller dining room next to the hostess stand. The menu has traditional pub-fare with a couple of their own specialty items. 

I had to get a cup of their beer cheese soup to start. The soup is a mix of cheddar cheese, bacon, vegetables and their own Station Master Wheat Ale and topped with popcorn. This soup is not for the "health conscious" but it sure is good - think of eating molten cheese with bacon mixed in and that's basically what this soup is. Is there any better combo than cheese and bacon? I think not. 

I ordered their "Brew-Ben's" Reuben served with Brew fries. The Reuben was hand's down the best I had ever had! Tender and succulent corned beef, high quality Swiss cheese and, I can't believe I'm saying this but delicious sauerkraut on perfectly grilled marble rye. The Brew fries were double battered and perfectly seasoned. 

If you're ever in the area readers, please check out this Flossmoor landmark!  

No comments:

Post a Comment