Friday, November 17, 2017

Everyday Bouillabaisse

A blog up the morning after I cooked a meal?! What?! I must be in bizarro-world since this seems like such a rarity as of late but nope, this is actually happening! After a quick 2 and a half mile run at the gym and an adventurous shopping trip at Kroger (hello Tofurky roast!), I was hungry and wanted something warm and filling.


Thankfully for me, I had already planned to make Everyday Bouillabaisse from my 32 Soups and Stews cookbook by Jan Aaron. This recipe was exceedingly easy and best of all, came together in about 30 minutes! That detail was vital considering it was 7:30 by the time I got home toting my armfuls of grocery bags, gym bag, garment bag full of newly altered clothing and 2 cases of sparkling water.


Everyday Bouillabaisse






1 Tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, diced
1 large garlic clove, minced
1/4 Tsp dried thyme
1/2 Tsp ground fennel
1 bay leaf
Salt and pepper, to taste
3 Tbsp tomato paste
2 C vegetable stock (or fish stock or water)
1/2 C dry white wine
*1 lb cooked shrimp
*1 tilapia fillet, cooked and chunked
1 3-oz can chunk tuna, well drained
2 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
1 Tsp Tabasco sauce
1 loaf 4-day old Italian bread, sliced


In a stockpot over medium heat, sauté onion and garlic until translucent and fragrant. Add in seasonings, tomato paste, stock and wine. Bring the mixture to a boil.


Add in your shrimp, tilapia and tuna and drop the heat to medium-low and allow to simmer for 10 minutes.


Do a seasonings check, toss in your fresh parsley and Tabasco sauce. Place a slice of crusty bread in the bottom of each bowl and pour the stew over.


*I had not had the foresight to make my seafood ahead of time so before I began sautéing my onion and garlic, I quickly cooked my tilapia and shrimp. Season tilapia and shrimp with salt and pepper on both sides. In a skillet over medium heat and sprayed with non-stick spray, cook tilapia for 3 minutes per side and remove to a plate. Cook shrimp until plump and pink.


This recipe yielded about 4 bowls' worth of stew and every bite was fantastic! The great seafood flavor permeated the broth and the different varieties of fish used added a great mix of textures to the stew. Plus who doesn't love an excuse to buy a loaf of bread? The fresh parsley was just the ticket to add a natural flavor to the hearty stew. I would gladly make this tasty stew again (and again, and again).


Stay tuned for some exciting recipes coming your way plus a look at what's on my Thanksgiving table! Happy eating!

2 comments:

  1. Yummy and filling, although I would go as far to say it would be better if the tilapia was replaced with clams.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it's expensive, but the saffron offers a whole new dimension. I never realized until recently what the fuss was all about. I love this recipe and make it often.

    ReplyDelete