Thursday, November 16, 2017

Samosa Pot Pie

As previously indicated, with this post I'm totally caught up on posts! As I'm sure you are too, I'm trying to cook my way through my fridge and freezer to prepare to stuff them with Thanksgiving leftovers and boy is it exhausting. One recipe I had come across some time ago was Samosa Pot Pie. I love samosas and if you think about it, samosa filling is pretty similar to pot pie filling anyway so putting the two together doesn't seem that far fetched.


Anyway, let's get to the recipe!


Samosa Pot Pie


3 golden potatoes, peeled and diced
3/4 C frozen peas
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely diced
3 garlic cloves, mined
4 C vegetarian crumbles (or 1 lb ground beef/turkey if you're into that)
1 Tbsp curry powder
1 Tbsp dried coriander (I don't have ground coriander so I broke out my mortar and pestle and did it myself)
1 Tsp chili powder
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 pack defrosted filo dough
2 Tbsp melted butter


Preheat oven to 350.


Boil potatoes in a pot of boiling water until tender. Toss in your peas and boil for 1 minute. Drain and mash the peas and potatoes together for 1 minute.


In a skillet, sauté onion and garlic in olive oil until tender and fragrant. Add in the crumbles and cook through. Season with curry powder, coriander, chili powder, salt and pepper and mix into the potato-pea mixture.


Carefully unfold your filo dough and line the bottom of a greased 9X9 casserole dish with 5 sheets. Top with all the filling and smooth out. Top with another 5 sheets of filo dough, brushing melted butter between each layer. Bake for 30 minutes or until the top layer is golden brown.


I must admit, I did not follow my own recipe and instead of carefully layering my sheets and brushing them, I put all the remaining filo dough on top, did a quick brush of olive oil and called it a day. Had I followed my own advice, my filo would've been crisp, flaky and flavorful. Unfortunately it was actually just dry and sad. This is also why there are no pictures, I didn't want you to see my failure.


This recipe gave us about 4 2-cup sized servings. Stay tuned for some more delicious recipes and happy eating!

1 comment:

  1. This was really good. Even though there was too much filo, the flavors were really nice.

    ReplyDelete