Monday, November 20, 2017

Roasted Butternut Squash and Chickpea Salad

I love fall vegetables, don't you? Their colors are just so beautiful and their flavors are outstanding. On Saturday evening, after a long day of Raleigh Christmas Parade watching, Hunger Games binging and napping, I wanted to eat something light and refreshing (if for no other reason than my severe lack of physical activity). I scoured my kitchen and came up with this recipe that I must say, I was a very big fan of (Nate not so much).


Roasted Butternut Squash and Chickpea Salad






1/2 large butternut squash, peeled and diced
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 Tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 Tsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp Herbs de Provance
1 bag spinach leaves
1/4 C shopped almonds, for serving
3-4 pieces of naan, for serving
Salad dressing of choice (I highly recommend a cranberry vinaigrette to keep in the "fall" theme)




Preheat oven to 450.


Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil and set aside.


Toss butternut squash and chickpeas in oil and spices and spread onto the prepared baking sheet. Roast for 25 minutes or until soft and sizzling.


Heat naan or other bread of choice for a few minutes.


Toss together spinach and almonds and top your naan, top spinach with your roasted squash and chickpeas and drizzle over your dressing of choice. Like I said, I adored the tangy cranberry vinaigrette for this salad. The slight sweetness of the squash paired very nicely with the tangy cranberries and the naan was the perfect vessel to soak up any lingering vinaigrette! Plus, the colors of the salad were beautiful.


I was able to get 3 servings out of this spectacular salad. Enjoy your Monday!



1 comment:

  1. I think the only thing I didn't really like was the cranberry dressing. Everything else was just fine, although the butternut squash might have used another 5 minutes in the oven. Unfortunately I think the squash and chickpeas have starkly different required baking times.

    ReplyDelete