Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Veggie Fried Rice

Happy day-before-Thanksgiving, readers! Here we are, the day before the feast! I have a lot to do today to prepare my meal (and my waistline) for the ceremonial engorging. As promised, I will give you the deets about what a displaced Burquena must have on her Thanksgiving table as well as some staples! But first! Nate and I decided to eat lighter meals on the days leading up to Turkey (and Tofurky) Day.


Last night I made a quick and easy Veggie Fried Rice that will have the carnivores in your house asking "this is vegan?"

Veggie Fried Rice



1 Tbsp toasted sesame oil (or canola oil)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 C frozen green peas
3 C frozen mixed vegetables (I used a mixture of Aldi-brand "Asian Medley" and "California Medley")
2 meatless chick'n patties, cooked through (I used Quorn)
1 C cooked white rice (best to use day-old rice)
1 egg, beaten
4 Tbsp lite soy sauce
4 Tbsp teriyaki sauce
Freshly cracked black pepper
1 Tsp red pepper flakes

In a wok (or very deep skillet/pot), heat oil and sauté garlic until fragrant. Add in the frozen veggies and allow to heat through. I used this time to microwave my chick'n patties and then cut them into bite-sized pieces. Next add in the egg and stir around the mixture (it's going to look weird and slightly unappetizing, but trust me, it's delicious). Finally add in the cooked rice and cooked chick'n patty. Stir the mixture to combine.

Season the whole mixture with soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, pepper and red pepper flake. Check for seasoning and cover to steam for 5 minutes to ensure the frozen veggies don't have any cold spots (this is vital! Who wants to bite into a partially frozen broccoli floret? Not I.)


We got 3 heaping bowls out of this delicious mixture that took under 20 minutes to make! That's less time than it takes to order a pizza (not to mention healthier than a pizza).

Happy pre-Turkey Day, readers and happy Thanksgiving to you and yours! May your bird be juicy, your mashed potatoes perfect and your home, hearts and tummies
 full!

1 comment:

  1. This was very tasty. would be good with chicken for non veggie.

    ReplyDelete