Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Baja Burrito

One of my absolute favorite things is discovering new, delicious, and local restaurants! After living in Raleigh for a little under 2 years I've been privileged enough to eat at phenomenal Southeastern chains, Raleigh staples and found my own local haunts. During my daily commute to work, I pass by Baja Burrito and yesterday I finally stopped in and I am so thrilled that I did!


According to their website, Baja Burrito is a locally owned establishment that has been serving up California-style grub since 1995. They are located at 2109-108 Avent Ferry Rd, Raleigh, North Carolina 27606.


Décor: On the outside, Baja Burrito looks just like any other quick-serve restaurant in a strip mall with a few plastic tables and chairs on the patio but the inside is brightly colored with their featured "Art Wall" showcasing local artists. It's a pop of Southern California right here in Raleigh, North Carolina.


Food appearance: Burritos are wrapped in foil sheets and served in plastic boats, quesadillas are served on paper plates, drinks are in paper cups and self-serve, cutlery is plastic.


Food taste: One of the features of this restaurant that drew me was the "healthier" options. The restaurant offers whole wheat tortillas and brown rice in addition to white rice and flour tortillas as well as vegetarian and in some cases vegan burrito and quesadilla options. Plus every order is accompanied with a side of freshly made tortilla chips! Their meats selection is varied as well, not just grilled chicken and ground beef here. I ordered a Mixed Vegetable Burrito with brown rice and whole wheat tortilla "deluxe style", meaning with guacamole and sour cream. The vegetables were not your garden variety (pardon the pun) sautéed peppers and onions but instead a seasoned mix of zucchini, squash, peppers and onions. The burrito itself was stuffed to the brim, which did not stop me at all from devouring the entire thing. Nate ordered a Shredded Beef Quesadilla which he said was flavorful and filling with the perfect crisp exterior.


Service: Employees were friendly, helpful and efficient. While we were waiting in line to order, an employee came out to expedite our ordering process so we wouldn't have to wait as long to get to the cashier. Food is self-pick up and the restaurant is self-buss.


Cleanliness: The restaurant was virtually spotless including the bathrooms.


I would definitely recommend a trip to Baja Burrito to anyone who loves overstuffed burritos for a reasonable price. Considering I visited Baja Burrito on my lunch break I did not partake in their selection of $2 Mexican cervezas but definitely plan to in the (hopefully) near future. My only knock would be they charge extra for salsa and jalapenos. To spice up my burrito and flavor my tortilla chips, I used their free hot sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment