Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Mushroom Philly Cheesesteaks

Happy Wednesday, readers! I hope your week is going well and if it's not, well, remember today's the halfway mark and Monday is a holiday that you (hopefully) have off. I've just been plugging along in my new solo life (no, Nate and I didn't get divorced or separated so don't worry). In regard to my posting hiatus, I've been cooking, just nothing I haven't already posted on the blog so I felt no need to post again.


I'm back to my vegetarian ways and I have to say, I can definitely tell a difference in how my body feels. I feel like I run better, I function better and I'm just all around...better. Last night I decided to make something that will always hold some nostalgia for me: Philly Cheesesteaks. Now my dad may (or may not) remember this, but the first Philly I ever ate was one he cooked. We lived in this little rental house in Albuquerque and we would play "cooking show". I was about 8 at the time and big into make-believe and Food Network. He would cook these exotic dinners, well, exotic to an 8-year-old anyway and narrate everything he was doing and I would mock-interview him. I think I was going for an Emeril approach, anyway, one of the dishes was Philly Cheesesteaks.


I remember the skillet on the stove sizzling away with some beautiful thinly sliced steak, topped with some pickled jalapenos or chopped green chile and blanketed with gooey, melty cheese before being scooped into a bun. Is your mouth watering yet? Well, I wanted to reinvent this delicious-ness with a vegetarian substitute, so I chose mushrooms. They're meaty, they're delicious and can stand up to big flavors, it was a no-brainer.


Mushroom Philly Cheesesteaks


2 Tbsp olive oil
1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
24 oz baby portabella mushrooms, thinly sliced
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce  sauce
1 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
Fresh cracked black pepper
4-6 hoagie rolls
Pickled jalapenos or chopped green chile (optional)
1 C shredded cheddar cheese


In a deep skillet over medium heat, sauté onion rings in the olive oil until translucent. This took about 5 minutes for me. Add in the sliced mushrooms to sauté in batches. Remember, don't crowd the mushrooms or they won't brown properly (thanks, Julia). By the time all 24 glorious ounces of mushrooms were sautéed, it was about 15 minutes later. You will be rewarded for your efforts!


Season the mushrooms with the pepper, Worcestershire, and soy sauces and do a taste check. Remember, you can always add more if necessary. The mushrooms should be tender and flavorful.


While your mushrooms are achieving greatness, toast your hoagie rolls in the oven so they will hold up to all the 'shroom goodness.


After your buns are toasted and your mushrooms are sautéed and seasoned, load up your hoagie! Top your mushrooms with pickled jalapenos or chopped green chiles if you wish (and obviously I do) and top with some cheddar cheese (or spray cheese if you're going for authenticity) and place under the broiler for 5 minutes.


I served my cheesesteaks with roasted potatoes leftover from a lunch at work and a salad, also leftover from a lunch at work. Everything was superb and left me feeling happy and full. Two of the best feelings. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. That sounds very delicious, and it was a cute story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, sounds good and loved the story, too.

    ReplyDelete