Friday, May 26, 2017

CKAT Wrap

Happy Friday, readers! We've made it to Friday morning, yay us! Now just a short 7 and a half hours stand between us and a (hopefully) 3-day weekend! Isn't that glorious? Now before I continue I'd like to take a moment to remind everyone that while Memorial Day often symbolizes the beginning of summer, National BBQ Day, and summer trips the holiday is to remember our veterans who fell during battle. On Monday take a moment and say a silent "thank you" to those who gave their lives so we could have the precious gift of freedom - something that seems more and more valuable in the current political and international scheme of things.




Now, I know what you're thinking "what the hell is a CKAT?" I trust you know what a BLT is, yeah? I love bacon. I love the salt, I love the crunch and the crisp, I love the smoky flavor it adds to anything it's combined with but even before I decided to embark on this vegetarian journey I felt guilty eating it. Why? One day I'd like to have a pet pig; Nate and I have discussed it, I've already picked out a name and can imagine our two cats "raising" a little piglet. Why on earth am I telling you this story? Because it seems awfully cruel to eat an animal you'd like to one day have apart of your family.




Anyway, back to the CKAT. Well, I read on a few vegetarian blogs that you can marinate and roast carrots and they will take on the texture/flavor of bacon so last night I decided to give it a try. And what's the "K" you ask? Kale. It's kale.




CKAT Wraps




3 large carrots, peeled and thinly sliced (thicker carrots will make this much easier)
2 Tbsp soy sauce
2 Tbsp tahini sauce
2 Tbsp maple syrup
2 Tsp liquid smoke
Freshly cracked black pepper
1 avocado, sliced (for serving)
1/2 C chopped kale (for serving)
1/2 tomato, sliced (for serving)
1 Tbsp light mayonnaise (for serving)
Spinach wrap (for serving)


Using a mandolin: this Image result for mandolin slicernot Image result for mandolin that. Thinly slice your carrots to about 1/8 of an inch.






In a large bowl, combine the soy sauce, tahini sauce, maple syrup and black pepper until it forms a thick marinade. Now coat the carrot slices in the marinade and allow to sit for 30 minutes. 30 very long, agonizing minutes.


Preheat oven to 425. Line a cookie sheet with wax paper or a silicone mat if you have one and spray liberally with cooking spray. Place marinated carrots in a single layer and coat with more delicious marinade. Season with black pepper and roast for 30-35 minutes depending on how crisp you'd like your "bacon".


I was impatient, it was 8:30 and I was ravenous so I roasted mine about 25 and had barely achieved the crunchy texture I was hoping for. I will remind myself next time that my patience will be rewarded.


Now assemble your wrap! Spread mayonnaise on your wrap, add in a handful of kale, some sliced tomato, delicious fresh avocado and a few large "bacon" slices and there you have a delicious wrap that almost makes you forget about the bacon. The flavors were definitely there, just missing the crunch (that my impatient butt wouldn't allow to develop). The kale added a bitterness that offset the slight sweetness of the carrots and the avocado gave everything a fresh and delightful flavor. Ahhhh I have the majority of the "bacon" in the fridge so you can bet that I'll be partaking in more CKATs this upcoming week.


Check back for tonight's dinner: Honey-Lime Cilantro Salmon!

1 comment:

  1. I always wondered how veggies were sliced with a mandolin, now I know! JK. The carrot thing sounds good, but maybe veggie bacon will just be quicker next time and have a better crisp payoff. You sound excited to eat the kale.

    ReplyDelete