Monday, May 1, 2017

Corn Cakes with Taco Toppings

Second post of the morning, readers! Hopefully you just hopped on over from reading my Buttermilk Brownies with Chocolate Ganache blog and now you wanted to know what I had for dinner last night, I'm right, aren't I? Is the anticipation just killing you? Thought so, well last night for dinner I made Corn Cakes with Taco Toppings. Help me think of a better title, won't you?


I discovered the recipe that inspired this dish on Betty Crocker's website, which also has a plethora of wonderful vegetarian and non recipes. I say "inspired" because I put my own little twist on this recipe and hopefully you enjoy it!


Corn Cakes with Taco Toppings


1 C pancake mix
1/2 C cornmeal
3/4 C buttermilk
2 egg whites
1 C salsa verde
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 portabella mushroom cap, chopped
1/2 white onion, diced
1 can black beans, drained
1 small can chopped olives, drained
1/2 C frozen corn kernels
2 Tbsp pickled jalapenos, diced
Salt and pepper, to taste
Shredded cheddar cheese, for serving (optional)
Hot salsa, for serving (optional)
Guacamole (optional)


In a large, deep skillet, sauté onion and portabella mushroom in olive oil until translucent and soft. Add in drained black beans, corn, drained olives, salsa verde and jalapenos. Simmer mixture until heated through. Season with salt and pepper.


In a large mixing bowl, prepare the corn cake mix. Combine pancake mix, cornmeal, buttermilk and egg whites until mixture resembles a very thick pancake mix.


Spray a skillet or griddle with cooking spray and cook 1/4 C portions of the cake mix until fluffy and golden brown. The cakes will puff up and spread out so make sure you leave plenty of space between each scoop.


Spoon a heaping portion of the bean mixture onto the cake and top with cheese, salsa, guacamole and any other taco-style topping you wish! The cakes are dense enough to stand up to the hearty toppings and still retain a light and fluffy texture.


Originally I was going to make this recipe on Friday night but Nate made an unfortunate discovery: the original recipe (here) calls for refried beans. I adore refried black beans. I love to eat them with a few slices of pickled jalapenos! Give me a bowl of refried black beans and I'm happy as a clam! Do you know what refried black beans also contain? Lard. Do you know what lard contains? Animal products. I was crushed. I may or may not have thrown a toddler-like temper tantrum because I couldn't eat my beloved beans.


Nate is less-than impressed that since I'm the main cook our meals are now exclusively vegetarian but I'm trying my best to make delicious meals that we'll both enjoy. We'll see how long this keeps up.


Stay tuned for my recipe for Sundried Tomato-Mozzarella Calzones!

No comments:

Post a Comment