Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Black Bean Fajitas

Happy Tuesday, readers! Welcome to your short week! I hope your Memorial Day was spent with family, friends and remembrance. Mine was spent cleaning, packing and binge-watching Netflix. When 6:00 PM rolled around last night and I had already packed my lunch for today, packed up my gym bag and folded all my laundry I began playing the "should I just order a pizza" game but I challenged myself to just cook dammit! As previously mentioned, I will be going on a trip soon. To where? Well, you'll have to just wait until my first blog post when I get there. Ha! Gotta keep you on your toes. Anyway, I have all these beautiful vegetables that I'd prefer didn't spoil while I am away so that was also a motivator. But what could I make that would use a majority of them? Then I had a sudden spurt of inspiration: Fajitas! They're smoky, spicy, flavorful, filling and best of all - you can top them with guacamole and who doesn't love that?!


Black Bean Fajitas



3 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
6 sweet mini peppers, cut into thin strips
1 garlic clove, minced
4 chipotle peppers, sliced
1 can black beans, rinsed
2 Tbsp adobo sauce
1/4 C vegetable stock
Salt and pepper, to taste
Whole wheat tortillas (for serving)
Guacamole (for serving)


In a deep skillet over medium heat, sauté onion until translucent. Add in pepper slices and cook until tender, this whole process took roughly 15 minutes. Add in minced garlic and sauté until fragrant.


Turn up the heat to medium-high and add in the chipotle peppers, beans, adobo sauce and vegetable stock and allow to boil for 1-2 minutes until a thick sauce forms. Sounds delish, am I right? The smell of my kitchen was positively intoxicating. A mix of smoky, spicy and that oh-so-glorious onion-sautéing smell...mmmm. Season with salt and pepper.


Throw your delicious fajita filling in a whole wheat tortilla, top with guac and go to town on that bad boy! I had 2 fajitas with about a cup of yellow rice (my go-to side dish) and was absolutely stuffed. This recipe probably yielded between 6 and 8 fajitas depending on how much filling you use per fajita.


Enjoy your Tuesday, readers and hopefully you'll try out some of my recipes. Or at least consider trying them out. Check back to see how well I think Cauliflower Hot Wings actually are and to find out Where In The World is Lindsey?

1 comment:

  1. Chipotle peppers are so good! I wonder where you are going.

    ReplyDelete