Monday, May 8, 2017

Kentucky Derby Party

Happy Monday, readers! I hope your weekend was as phenomenal as mine was! Friday night I grabbed some margs and chips and guac with my ladies and Saturday afternoon Nate and I threw a party to celebrate "the most exciting 2 minutes in sports". Unfortunately neither Nate nor myself bet on the winning horse but with all the delicious food in our vicinity, we were all winners.


We all sipped Mint Juleps, white wine and beers and munched on everything from fruit trays and sausage dip to Kentucky Hot Browns and chocolate pie -- to say we were stuffed is quite the understatement.


Some of my favorites from the night were a 7-Layer Dip my friend Christine brought (seriously girl, I could eat that dip for days), guacamole and tortilla chips, Mornay Sauce on literally anything, and Kentucky Tea Sandwiches.


Kentucky Tea Sandwiches


12 slices whole wheat bread
12 oz softened cream cheese
2 Tbsp light mayonnaise
1 cucumber peeled, seeded and diced
1 Tbsp dried dill
2 Tbsp fresh chive, finely diced
Salt and pepper, to taste


In a large bowl, combine the cream cheese and mayo until smooth and well blended. Stir in the cucumbers and seasonings. Spoon a heaping portion of the mixture onto 6 slices of the wheat bread. Top the filled breads with the remaining slices and smoosh. I don't know why but smooshing a sandwich together is so satisfying, don't you think? Using a serrated knife, cut off the crusts and cut in half diagonally for 12 delicious tea sandwiches.


I think the only thing that could've made this recipe better was a squeeze of lemon juice or 1 Tsp lemon zest to bring out the refreshing cucumber flavor. Try it and let me know how it goes!


Guacamole


3 ripe avocadoes, diced
1 roma tomato, seeded and diced
1/4 C hot salsa
Juice of 1 lime
Pinch garlic salt
Pinch red chile powder
Salt and pepper, to taste


I can't believe I've never given out my guacamole recipe before! I've been on this blog for two and a half years and making this guacamole on almost a weekly basis and I've never told you how to make it? I apologize readers, I've definitely let you down...


In a large bowl, mash diced avocado until smooth. I prefer a little texture in my guacamole so I leave a few chunks. Mix in tomato, salsa, lime juice and seasonings. Enjoy your new favorite guacamole recipe with chips, tacos, a spoon, your hand, you get the picture.


What's the Kentucky Derby without dressing dapper and sipping Juleps?




Mint Julep


1 C crushed ice
2 oz bourbon
1 oz mint simple syrup
Fresh mint, for garnish


Fill a glass (or blue plastic cup if your affair is as classy as ours was) with 1 C ice, 2 oz bourbon and 1 oz mint simple syrup. Stir together and garnish with a fresh sprig of mint.


The Juleps are smooth and surprisingly refreshing.


Have a wonderful rest of your Monday! 

1 comment: