Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Sundried Tomato-Mozzarella Stromboli

Happy Tuesday, readers! One day down, four to go! Lots of fun events to look forward to this week: May the Fourth Be With You on Thursday (where my fellow Star Wars fans at?!), Cinco de Mayo on Friday, and Kentucky Derby on Saturday! All the fun things! As promised, below find the recipe for Sundried Tomato-Mozzarella Stromboli. I know I previously indicated that I was making a calzone but my 2 months' worth of working-in-a-pizzeria knowledge reminded me that calzones contain ricotta cheese and strombolis do not. There was no ricotta in my dinner last night.


Before I unceremoniously fell asleep on my couch whilst watching Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Return, I munched on a deliciously good Stromboli.


Sundried Tomato-Mozzerella Stromboli


1 pound pizza dough (recipe here)
1/2 C marinara sauce (I used Aldi brand's tomato basil variety)
8 oz sliced mozzarella cheese
8-10 sundried tomatoes, drained (or more depending on how many sundried tomatoes you like)
2 Tbsp capers, drained
2 Tbsp olive oil
Italian seasoning, to taste


Preheat oven to 400 degrees.


Portion pizza dough into two roughly 1/2 lb portions, roll dough to 1/4 inch thick and stretch into 6 inch rounds. Spoon roughly 1/4 C of marinara sauce in the middle of the dough rounds. Top marinara sauce with sundried tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, and capers. Repeat this step for the remaining dough round(s).


Once your Stromboli is adequately filled, fold the dough to the middle and pinch together tightly to ensure your Stromboli doesn't break apart in the oven. Brush 1 Tbsp olive oil per Stromboli and sprinkle with Italian seasoning.


Bake your Stromboli for 15 minutes or until golden brown.


My portions gave me 2 large strombolis, which could've easily been cut in half and fed 2 additional people considering Nate and I both had leftovers.


The dough was chewy and perfectly baked, the mozzarella gooey and melty, the sundried tomatoes juicy and delicious and the capers adding the perfect bright briny bite to bring the flavor home. Goodness, my stomach is aching just thinking about it!


Stay tuned for some more delicious recipes! Hang in there, readers!

1 comment: