Friday, May 5, 2017

Green Chile Mac

When I say "comfort food" what comes to mind? Grilled cheese? Soup? Meatloaf? For me nothing says "comfort food" more than a big ole' bowl of macaroni and cheese. And since you can take the girl out of New Mexico but not the New Mexico out of the girl, adding green chile to literally anything automatically makes it comforting.


I typically don't stray away from my tried and true macaroni and cheese recipe, but I will say this recipe was truly fantastic and best part about it? IT IS ALL IN ONE POT! That's right, all in one pot and only took about 15 minutes to make a deliciously filling meal that frankly I'm drooling over as I type. Don't mind me.


Green Chile Mac




1 pound pasta (I used Pipe Rigate, it just looks fun)
2 C skim milk
1/3 C vegetable broth
1/4 C buttermilk
1/4 C heavy whipping cream
2 Tbsp butter
1 slice pepper jack cheese
8 oz block of extra sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 C cheddar cheese, shredded
2 cans (or 1/2 C) chopped Hatch green chiles
Salt and pepper, to taste


In a large stock pot over medium-high heat, boil pasta in milk, broth, buttermilk and heavy whipping cream until pasta is just over al dente. This took about 8 minutes.


Turn the heat down to medium and carefully stir in the butter and cheeses until gooey and melty. Now stir in your chiles. If I had fresh Hatch green chiles at my disposal I would've definitely preferred to use a heaping 1/2 cup (or more) in place of the pathetic canned variety but beggars can't be choosers, right? Season with salt and pepper and there you have it! An absolutely delicious meal! Nate even had some for breakfast this morning. Happy Friday/Cinco de Mayo/Revenge of the Fifth, readers! Tune in tomorrow for some delicious Derby Day recipes!

1 comment:

  1. This was really good for being such an easy recipe.

    ReplyDelete